While I've been on my rotations, a little baby was given up for adoption.
I can't imagine what it must be to give your child away. It cannot be easy to carry a baby for 9 months only to relinquish rights to that part of you to someone else for whatever the reason. It's not easy for the child either. They will wonder as all children do - who am I? where do I belong? what is my story? Do my parents love me?
I can't fathom the feelings of parents who get a call informing them they have a child to suddenly care for. They don't have several months to prepare and get used to the idea. Their plans change dramatically. Suddenly they are responsible for a baby and their hopes and dreams of a family take shape.
I've been fortunate to have very loving parents. They have their faults, no one is perfect, but they have done an incredible job raising my sisters and me.
I've also been even more blessed to have other examples of wonderful moms and dedicated dads in my life. It's surreal watching as people my age have kids and start their own families. It's awesome to have so many role models in case the day comes that I have children of my own.
What makes a good mom or dad? There are so many different ways to raise kids. It's not a job for the faint of heart. It's a lifelong commitment to selfless love and care.
All families have some degree of dysfunction. It is especially disheartening to see it in action, but it makes me appreciate what I have more.
As I think about adoption, I am reminded of what Paul rights in his letters about our adoption in Christ. It is astounding that we are able to approach God as a loving father who sacrifices himself for our sake.
Romans 8:14-17
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment