O kiddos. They are so amusing.
I was home over the weekend with it being Father's Day and all. I went to the store to find a greeting card for the holiday. Whilst in line to check out, my mom and I observed two young boys with their dad. They were in the shopping cart. Once the other items were removed from the cart, one of them started jumping. The other one had a cup of chicken nuggets in his hand. When he saw what his brother was doing, he did the same thing - bouncing up and down. Monkey see, monkey do, right? In doing so, the chicken nuggets went flying everywhere. Whoops. My mom and I tried to hold in our laughter at their bemused expressions and predicament to no avail. We were cracking up which probably didn't help matters so we found a different line to check out in. I feel bad for the poor dad - who turned around and said something to the effect of "What did you do? You made a mess!" It's tough trying to shop with 2 little boys.
Today, we had a few interesting cases. One in particular is funny enough to share. The chief complaint was "my child has bad breath." Upon inspection the NP thought - the malodorous scent is actually coming from her nose. She asked the child - "did you put anything up your nose?" To which the little one said, "No." A bit later the conversation continued something along these lines, "what do you think is causing the 'greenish, blue gunk' to come out of your nose?" I'm taking liberties here because I wasn't actually present in the room, but my patients weren't quite as exciting today.
Child responds "um, maybe it's from the dog toy." Oh really? "Yeah, the dog chewed up a stuffed animal and it had green stuff inside." "Did you stick it up your nose?" Shakes head "No." "Did it tickle when it went up your nose?" The kid finally nods - essentially admitting what she had been denying fervently up until that point - she didn't put anything up her nose.
The proof was in the pudding as they say when the NP managed to pull a chunk of a greenish substance that no human body can naturally produce from the kid's nostril.
In other news, at the end of last week, I administered my first injection on a 1 year old. Poor thing. No one likes shots. We try to make it as quick as possible, but they still shriek and wail. Half the time you can hear them down the hall so everyone probably wonders "what kind of torture are you putting that kid through?"
No comments:
Post a Comment