Thursday, June 14, 2012

Not one of my better days

It wasn't awful, but wasn't great. The kiddos I saw today were either sick with something that made them feverish or have a rash or it was just a check up. Two of them I saw initially I thought had ear infections, but the NP came in and said they were fine. Well not fine per say - just no ear infection. Shooting my confidence in my diagnostic prowess. Yesterday I actually successfully identified 2 ear infections, so I thought I was maybe getting it figured out. Everyone says ears are tough. For one thing, it's hard to get a good look because hardly any kid is going to keep his head still. No one particularly enjoys having something poked in their ear canal.
One little girl was ill and we still don't know for certain what she has. As the MD says, "with kids, they usually get better and we never know what it was that made them sick, or they get worse and then we can figure it out." She had to come back for additional testing after getting some blood drawn and her mom was in tears at that point too. Peds seems to be playing to get the kids to cooperate with you for an exam, but mostly dealing with the parents.
A couple boys came in for a well visit. Their parents are going through a nasty divorce. So despite being relatively healthy from a physical appearance standpoint (with the exception of the younger brother being significantly larger than the older), from an emotional standpoint - not so much. Unfortunately, there's little we can do for that. Days like today we wish we had a magic wand to make everything better.

No comments: