Monday, October 12, 2009

Funke Turismo


The group of adventurers!

Argentines like their holidays. We had a long weekend courtesy of "Columbus Day." Some coworkers and friends of ours decided it would be fun to see some mountains this weekend. We drove 7 hours southwest of La Plata to Sierra de la Ventana or more accurately the middle of nowhere because we stayed well outside any nearby city, traveling on dirt roads to get to camp. It was nice getting out of the city for a while and being able to see stars and hills. The title of the post comes from the company we used during our stay. It was an interesting trip! Overall, I had a good time, but I'm glad to be back around the "comforts of home."
Unfortunately, my poor weather streak while traveling in Argentina continued on Saturday (see Lobos post from July). It rained all day, thus wrecking havoc on our plans to hike Tres Picos--the tallest point in the province of Buenos Aires. This mountain range is alleged to be the oldest in South America.

Instead, we found adventure in maneuvering the mud roads into town to try some of the best alfajores (chocolate-covered, dulce de leche stuffed cookies) in Argentina.

Sunday we were blessed with better weather and made the climb up to a cave. We turned around as the wind picked up and clouds rolled past (carrying rain and a few snow flakes as well) instead of reaching the highest peak. It was an exhausting and beautiful hike nevertheless. I snapped a few photos while my camera battery was functioning.

3 comments:

Valerie Leaver said...

Your hair looks longer than it was last I saw you. Looks good! I'm excited to see you soon!! :D

Kelly said...

Haha. You could tell from that little picture? Imagine that. I haven't cut my hair in a while. We'll see how much longer I will let it grow out. I'm excited to see you next week too.

The Racki Family said...

It looks beautiful kel...