On Wednesday I got to wear a space suit. We finished general surgery stuff in early afternoon. To follow was an orthopedic case that they graciously allowed me to scrub in on so I got a firsthand look at the inside of hip fracture and replacement. Because of the risks associated with cutting and drilling into bone versus soft tissue, we donned helmets that run air into the scrub suit. We were covered with a face shield and then wrapped in a sterile blue gown not to mention a few pairs of gloves. It's quite the outfit. I felt ready to walk on the moon almost. In all my shadowing experiences, I had enjoyed orthopedic surgery the most. After my general surgery rotation, I've started to question that. I guess that's okay. I mean that's what this year is for, getting experience and learning what you like and don't like to help you when you get out there. I'm not sure what I'll go into - right now I'm looking forward to family practice. I'm done with 2 rotations already! 6 more to go! I've successfully moved back home. My room looks like a disaster zone. I need to figure out what to do with my stuff. It's hard to know what you'll need and to get rid of sentimental things from days gone by. I don't enjoy packing or unpacking, despite lots of experience with it. A new adventure starts tomorrow! It's strange after 8 weeks not going back to Dodgeville. I'll miss it.
No comments:
Post a Comment