Friday, July 13, 2012

Quarter of the way done with Rotation 2

Woohoo! I survived another week. Today was another long day, but for Friday the 13th and a black cat crossing my path on the drive to the hospital, it wasn't bad. We went to another small town hospital in the area for the morning to see patients. I did my first dictations. I don't do well talking out loud into a phone speaking med terminology. I was also given some more responsibility to see patients - get their history and do a physical exam, plus I did some assisting in the OR. We performed an inguinal hernia repair on an older gentleman and a hemicolectomy on a women with an unusual colonoscopy. As a student, I'm mostly in charge of retracting, other maneuvers to aid in surgical field visualization, snipping suture ends, and staple closure. It's hard to screw that up. This weekend my preceptor is on call. I have plans bringing me to Madison and Whitewater on Saturday and Sunday. I may stop in when I'm able if something unfolds and he calls. Meanwhile, I'm going to try to rest and recover from a crazy week. Putting in 40+ hours of work and trying to study on top of it is no easy task. It doesn't leave much time for sleeping, working out, eating or anything else that is healthy and normal. 

No comments: