Saturday, May 29, 2010

What culture shock can teach you about love

Culture shock is defined as the anxiety and feelings associated with people operating within a different culture. People tend to go through three stages: honeymoon, disintegration, and adjustment phases. Everyone handles it differently. Personally, in Argentina I haven't felt the honeymoon. I'm still wrestling with embracing the culture these days. I'm not convinced that "culture shock" is the ultimate culprit, but it does explain some of my feelings of frustration and homesickness.

As I struggle in this process, it's showed me a lot about who I am and taught me a lot about my own culture that I usually didn't give much thought to.
I value efficiency. I value independence. I define success by how well I do something--results/achievement.

Argentina is not very efficient. This week I waited in line for 30 minutes just so someone could tell me I was waiting in the wrong area. If someone could have directed me sooner or had there been a sign, it would have saved me a lot of time. Argentina is very different, that's just one tiny example.

Ok so where does love come in?
I heard somewhere someone say,

"Love is inefficient."

They have something there.
Love is a process. It desires what is best. Love is not saying, "hi, how are you?" and walking by. Love is accepting me wholeheartedly when I fail. Love is genuine. Love is in a laugh that lifts you up. It's not coercing. Love involves risking and depending on another person to hold your heart gently. Love is lavish. Everyone needs it and looks for it. Some find it. Many don't understand it.

No comments: