Coming back from my whirlwind, mostly sleepless trip, I was dead tired and with the drastic change of temperature from going between what felt like winter to summer, I was susceptible to illness and came crashing down with something viral shortly after returning. Whatever infection I had, left me weak, drowsy, coughing, slightly feverish, and confined inside for a while. When my symptoms weren't letting up much after several days, I decided it couldn't hurt to see a doctor. It was my first encounter with the Argentine medical system. My roommate, graciously caring for me during my sickness, accompanied me to the clinic a block away. It certainly tests your vocabulary, trying to explain your symptoms to a physician in a different language or going to the pharmacy in search of some remedy that looks familiar.
Unlike going to see a doctor in the States, I didn't have to fill out an extensive health history form or sign any paperwork for that matter. She asked a few questions about my symptoms, measured my breathing, took my temperature (37 degrees C is supposed to be normal), and recommended a chest x-ray to be certain I didn't have anything more serious going on. The whole appointment and x-ray cost less than $30 USD. I walked away with the x-ray in hand even. Unfortunately, all I can do to kick this bug is what I had been doing--resting and taking ibuprofen. I'm starting to feel better finally.
No comments:
Post a Comment