Thursday, July 9, 2009

Independence Day

Today is Argentina's Independence Day. That doesn't exactly mean much as far as a celebration is concerned as far as I can tell. Besides, a lot of places are already closed down because of the health concerns regarding the swine flu. Needless to say, the virus makes things interesting. I had to laugh at an article I saw in the newspaper that strongly recommended people not share straws when drinking mate because of the potential to spread infection. Last week most stores ran out of the alcohol-based hand santizer. Don't worry, I am taking good care of myself. I certainly don't want to get sick. Anyway, speaking of Independence day, on July 4th, I got together with some other Americans to enjoy hamburgers and apple pie with icecream. Yum! The icecream is really good here. As a Wisconsin native and ice cream connoisseur, I can declare that with authority. Like every other desert here, one of the flavors is dulce de leche.

It's been a long week. Monday I took the train into Buenos Aires. If we drove, we would have to go through several tolls, so this way was much more economical. Plus, it is more interesting riding the train because people walk up and down the aisle selling stuff--everything from food to little valentine-like cards. Then I took the subway downtown because I was attempting to turn in paper work for my DNI (ID for Argentina). It was pouring and there was a huge line and they wouldn't let us in the building because of gripe A (as H1N1 is known here). Quite frustrating. After that we stepped into a very nice and well know cafe, Cafe Tortoni, for some hot chocolate and churros. Since it was raining, we couldn't do very much more sight-seeing in the capital city. When we came back to La Plata, I signed my lease and went shopping for things for the apartment.

Tuesday night I hung out with some people involved in Vida Estudiantil (Campus Crusade). They had a Mexican-themed dinner, with quesadillas, enchilladas, and fajitas, plus chips and guacamole and salsa. You may be suprised that it's actually rather hard to find tortillas here. Argentine cuisine is a lot different from Mexican. Yesterday I officially moved into my apartment. I'm still waiting for most of my furniture, so I've been eating on my makeshift table--a cardboard box on the floor! Last night we watched the finals for the Libertadores Cup. Los Estudiantes de La Plata were playing against Cruziero of Brasil. It was wild, bloody, and ended scoreless. Next week they play the final game again in Brasil. Despite almost everything else being canceled because of health reasons, we are still planning a small trip to a nearby city in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Argentina. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get settled in my little house, and make it feel like home.

No comments: