Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Packing it all in

In exactly two weeks I'll be in Argentina. Whoa. It's gradually starting to feel real. Mostly I have to remind myself that it is June already and it's finally coming. Meanwhile there's a lot to keep me occupied as I both literally and figuratively try to pack it all in. My weekends are already booked. Part of me really wants to leave without all the hoopla of a grand goodbye. I don't think I've found anyone who actually likes goodbyes, even if it isn't for very long.
Some people have asked me, "how do you pack for two years?" All I can say is "good question!" I haven't quite gotten to that point yet. But I've gotten some advice from experienced travelers so I have some idea of what to bring. Packing light is essential of course. I've also gotten some tips on what I need to purchase in the States and what I can buy in Argentina. I've learned that we should be thankful for things like athletic shoes (because they cost more there) and marshmallows and cinnamon-flavored gum, which they don't have at all. I'm going going to try and cram my life into 3 suitcases, but I'm not sure that I can condense my life down so that it will fit. My mom is sure putting up with a lot as she cleans around the piles of stuff I have in various corners of the house.

No comments: