Friday, November 7, 2008

Weather Children

How 'bout this for a blog topic starter? The weather!
Oh, weather in Wisconsin: I think it was just last week we saw snow. Then it warmed to a balmy 75 degrees in November, followed by rain, and what looks like snow again soon. Only here could I be found wearing chacos and mittens in the same half week stretch. I've learned to appreciate the unpredictability of Wisconsin weather because I love the seasons so much. It's mesmerizing watching the leaves pop, flourish, flame, and perish. Or staring at raindrops and snowflakes--something so small is powerful when in groups!

What's the weather like in La Plata, Argentina? According to www.weather.com, it's 77 degrees. The average low temperature in July (their winter) is 41 degrees F. That would be the current temp in Madison, Wisconsin now. That's going to take some getting used to. But it'll be kind of nice to head south this winter and escape the cold here. My grandparents are doing that this weekend as they return to Florida. Here's a picture from Spring Break when my family went to visit them there. I'm the short one in the middle. :) The average high during Argentina's summer is 83 degrees. Not nearly the extreme temperature swings found in the Midwest. Someone I know was in Buenos Aires, Argentina (50 miles from La Plata) during "summer" 2007. It snowed there for the first time in 100 years! I can't imagine what that must have been like. Last winter Madison had a record snow fall of 100+ inches. Ok, enough about the weather.

Yesterday morning I helped out at church watching little tots for a couple hours. It's great being able to work with the little people to remind me how to interact with non-college aged members of society that I am so often surrounded by living near campus. I enjoy playing with and comforting them. Before I went, I was reading in my Bible, Psalm 127. The third verse says, "Children are a gift from the Lord, they are a reward from him." I don't have any kids of my own, but I can attest to the truth of that statement already. There is something special about cuddling a baby to your chest and rocking it to sleep. I'm holding a warm bundle of human life in my arms! As I watched these kids no more than 2 years old, I could already see snippets of their individual personalities. For instance: one little girl named Abbi, is quiet and observing. A little boy named Keenan crawls all over and is very vocal. Quin has a sweet disposition, not to mention a charming smile, and shares more than I've seen any child before. It's amazing how much they understand so young. I can direct them to get a book and bring it to me. They'll scoot into my lap and listen. It's fun watching them explore. It amazes me when I look into their little eyes and hold their hands in my palm, that given 15 years they will grow another 3-4 feet and be adult sized.

Last week, I talked to Chris Young, my leader in Argentina. He talked about how they were having some orphaned girls over that weekend. I am thrilled that this is part of their ministry. I am eager to continue loving kids--of all ages. I'm so glad our Father has said, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

James 1: 26-27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Not to sound like a broken record, but holy cow Denise is tall! ps- got your letter this week!